The Perils of Crowdfunding a Book

It began as most things do: with good intentions. Just before Christmas, 2012, I launched a crowdfunding campaign to raise money for my book Bedtime and Other Tales of Terror. As of this writing it is February 2016 and the project hasn't been completed yet. I know a few writers have decided to go down a similar path and so I thought it would be useful for them to learn a little from the decisions I've made, good and bad.

Why I Chose to Crowdfund My Book

I launched my crowdfunding campaign through Indiegogo for two reasons. The first was that several people had plagiarised a story I wrote called Bedtime. At that point it had been a success across various horror websites, being included in a number of top 10 scariest stories lists and reaching a level of exposure for which I was unprepared. It was being shared everywhere, which I was so excited by, but unfortunately my name wasn't being credited.

I then found a few people sharing it claiming authorship and even including it in portfolios to showcase their writing skills to publishers and agents. I assume they thought it was a nameless "creepypasta" and that they wouldn't get caught.

This horrified me, so I panicked.

I knew that I had to do something, and other than sending emails and leaving comments I didn't feel I had many options open to me with regards to stopping the story being circulated as someone else's. I decided therefore that I had to self-publish the stories. This became even more troubling as doing a simple search showed that two or three different individuals had actually already published my story on Amazon as part of anthology collections -- they were making money from a story based on my childhood.

Nonetheless, I had one thing going for me, I knew that I had access to this post. It was the first place Bedtime ever appeared and so I felt I could at least prove to most that it was indeed mine. But this wasn't widely known, so I still thought I had to put out a complete version of it and the sequel stories so that ownership would never be an issue.

I didn't want to just package the story and publish it as is, I wanted to do something special with it and create a book around it which would thrill and surprise even those who had read the original. The problem was I just didn't have enough time. I was working horrendous hours as a freelancer for very little pay and, after writing sales copy all day into the evening, I was too exhausted to write my own material.

It was then that I saw what Dathan Auerbach did with his story, Penpal. He ran a brilliant crowdfunding campaign, raised enough money to produce physical copies and get it out there. At that point I felt like a solution had been found: I would crowdfund, hopefully raising around $2,000 and have enough left over after perks to take a month or so off from work, expand Bedtime into a short novella and combine it with some unpublished short stories I had written.

What could possible go wrong?







COMMENTS

Name

announcements,7,articles,3,Audio,12,Bedtime and Other Tales of Terror,1,Book Reviews,1,Books,1,campfire ghost story,2,Documentaries,1,Featured,4,Films,6,Footage Found,1,Free Novels,1,From a Campfire's Embers,5,Horror Detour,9,Livestream,11,Mike Rants,2,Music,2,narration,14,narrations,14,News,102,No Sleep,2,Novellas,3,on a hill,1,Poems,4,Produced Scripts,1,Radio Plays,1,Real Horrors,1,Reviews,3,Short Stories,26,Tales of Creepypasta,3,terrifying tales,1,The Ghost Story Society,2,The Horror Imperative,1,The Sins of Abigail Flesh,2,Unproduced Scripts,1,Vault of Ghastly Tales,9,Videos,3,Vlogs,2,Writing,1,Writing Tips,1,Written Stories,24,
ltr
item
Michael Whitehouse: The Perils of Crowdfunding a Book
The Perils of Crowdfunding a Book
Michael Whitehouse
http://michaelwhitehouse.blogspot.com/2016/02/the-perils-of-crowdfunding-book.html
http://michaelwhitehouse.blogspot.com/
http://michaelwhitehouse.blogspot.com/
http://michaelwhitehouse.blogspot.com/2016/02/the-perils-of-crowdfunding-book.html
true
5017136615759955888
UTF-8
Loaded All Posts Not found any posts VIEW ALL Readmore Reply Cancel reply Delete By Home PAGES POSTS View All RECOMMENDED FOR YOU LABEL ARCHIVE SEARCH ALL POSTS Not found any post match with your request Back Home Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat January February March April May June July August September October November December Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec just now 1 minute ago $$1$$ minutes ago 1 hour ago $$1$$ hours ago Yesterday $$1$$ days ago $$1$$ weeks ago more than 5 weeks ago Followers Follow THIS CONTENT IS PREMIUM Please share to unlock Copy All Code Select All Code All codes were copied to your clipboard Can not copy the codes / texts, please press [CTRL]+[C] (or CMD+C with Mac) to copy